Best at-home meal ideas to impress that special someone
Photo by Jill Wellington from Pixabay.com
The COVID-19 outbreak has shaken the world to its core. Many people have to cope with the new normal and incorporate it into their daily routines. At the same time, it is amusing to note how couples and families have to make up for special events at home following the CDC safety measures. If you had a plan to take your crush or loved one out for lunch or dinner, but that went down the drain because of the pandemic, don’t cancel your plans just yet?
Who says you can’t make the most out of a meal-for-two at home? Nothing is more wholesome than hand prepping a meal for your loved ones. Therefore, take full advantage of your situation and head on to creating some delicious treats for that special someone. Impress them with your cooking skills, and we bet you will have them swooning over you.
Great, so that’s sorted! Now, what do you actually cook/bake for them? Don’t worry about it; we’ve got you covered. Here are two super easy, step-by-step meal ideas you can create. Feel free to add your personal touch to these recipes, making them even better when they’re customized.
Salmon and Avocado Salsa
Are you looking for the perfect lunch or mid-day meal recipe? Look no further. This is a delicious quick treat you can prepare and incorporates the use of fresh ingredients providing a useful, healthy, and nutritious meal. Don’t get us wrong, this recipe also doubles for dinner, but the freshness just adds up to the environment of a fine afternoon.
- 4 (preferably fresh) salmon fillets (approximately weighing 4 ounces)
- 1 diced avocado (pre-peeled and pitted)
- Seasonings: salt and pepper as per taste (add a hint of chili for some heat if you would like)
- 2 tsp olive oil (you can use a regular neutral oil, but a healthy choice is an olive oil)
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of diced red onion
- ½ cup of finely diced red bell pepper or tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro leaves chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 tbsp vinegar.
- Season the salmon fillets well with a lot of salt, pepper, and, (if using) chili along with the minced garlic and set aside for 15-20 minutes, simultaneously heat the olive oil in a large skillet placed over medium-high heat.
- Place the salmon in the skillet, skin side facing upwards, and cook until well done. This should take around 8-10 minutes (4-5 minutes per side).
- While the salmon is cooking, it’s time to prepare the salsa: In a bowl, mix the avocado, red onion, bell pepper, lemon juice, and coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Season the salad with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and toss together gently and until well combined.
- Place the salsa over the pan-seared salmon fillets, garnish with cilantro leaves, chopped nuts, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Serve immediately.
There’s nothing more delicious than a good old alfredo pasta. If you’re trying to pull a trick from under your sleeve, then this might be it! Not only is it convenient and less time consuming to make, but it also contains no meat, which is great if the person you are trying to impress is not a meat-eater. This just shows how considerate you are and how much they mean to you.
- 1 16-ounce pack of spaghetti
- 3 tbsp freshly minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp cream
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Boil the pasta as per the package instructions and set aside in a colander to drain excess water.
- In a medium-sized wok, heat the olive oil and garlic and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes until the garlic has browned.
- Toss in the boiled spaghetti and toss over medium-high heat for about a minute, being careful the spaghetti does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- To prepare the béchamel: Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the milk and whisk vigorously to avoid lumps. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the flame and incorporate the cream and cheese and allow the cheese to melt. Mix well.
- Place the spaghetti in a dish and drape the sauce over with a sprinkle of dried oregano. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Try some of these yummilicious recipes and dare to impress that special one. Not only are these recipes super easy to recreate, but they’re also foolproof and delicious!